Job Profiling is an area of specialisation for us where we establish the key requirements for a specific job, including what competencies an individual needs in order to succeed in the position. We are proud to note that the work we have done in mapping competency frameworks has been validated by Professor Dave Bartrum from Saville and Holdsworth (SHL) in London.
Benefits of up-to-date, comprehensive Position Profiles:
- To understand the drivers of performance in jobs, and their contribution to overall company performance
- Establish a ‘competency dictionary’ for the company – developing a common language
- Clearly defined Position Profiles can form the basis for establishing a Skills Development Plan
- Basis for ensuring HR activities are relevant to the business
- Recruitment & Selection
- Succession Planning
- Training & Development
- Performance Management
- Organisational Design & Development
- Career Development
- Leadership Development
- Blueprint for recruiting and selecting the right employees first time
- A system for measuring and assessing applicants against the particular position for which they are applying, within a quantifiable, consistent, scientifically verified and legally compliant framework
- Streamlined training and development based upon an understanding of employees competencies will provide a greater return on investment in training and development
- A competency-based understanding of employees provides greater insight into how their performance and careers can best be managed
- More detailed information on individual employees and the specific competencies required at each level within the organisation, provides an accurate and focused leadership pipeline
We can assist you with the process of determining the worth of a particular job in relation to other roles in a systematic and objective manner. A wide range of factors are taken into account during the grading process, including levels of complexity, variety of tasks and decision-making. We make use of the well-known Paterson Job Grading system to achieve this.
Job grading can assist your company in the following ways:
- Providing a logically graded hierarchy
- Regaining control over salary and wage administration
- Reducing inequities
- Providing a consistent rationale for pay structures
- Acquiring the best means to analyse wage and skills gaps
- Obtaining a common reference point
- Enabling the effective development of career paths
For a company to truly succeed, it is just as important for employees to have a tool that enables them to voice their concerns with, or appreciation of, management. This is where organisational climate and culture surveys serve as valuable tools as they offer a platform to staff members make these thoughts known. Employees are more likely to be honest and open when approached by someone without direct ties to the business itself.
Climate surveys can assist your company in the following ways:
- Offer a different perspective on employee challenges and help to identify areas of inefficiency and potential performance barriers, which can then be quickly acted upon
- Improve workplace harmony and most likely lead to improved productivity
- The perspective of an ‘outsider looking in’, rather than effectively being the ‘insider looking around’
Mercedes-Benz South Africa
Mercedes-Benz brought us on board to develop a range of position profiles for a variety of roles within the company’s dealerships across the Southern African region. The project entailed the development of not only position profiles, but also a competency matrix, for each and every position.
In the second phase, we undertook the design and development of assessment batteries for a wide variety of dealership positions, including everything from service advisor to sales executive and dealer principal, so as to assess the skills identified in the position profiles.
In fact, since 2007, we have assessed over 1 500 individuals at dealerships in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. We have profiled more than 30 positions and have designed, developed and implemented assessment centres for the vast majority of these positions.